2007年10月1日月曜日

I am ...

... about to take my yearly plunge into something new and different. Though I suppose if I do it every year, it`s not so new or different, is it? You`d think I`d be used to it by now but at the moment I`m actually uncharacteristically nervous.

Tonight, I leave for Osaka (again), only this time, I`m not looking back, save for an occasional glance to check on my stuff that I`ve left scattered throughout Tokyo at random friends` houses. Sound familiar so far? The only thing that continues to surprise me is how I amass so much junk in the mere space of a year. As usual, a lot of it gets given away or thrown out during "crunch time," filtering my possessions down to the bare necessities -- at least whatever I can fit into carryable boxes and, of course, my yellow Oakley house.

I`m leaving tonight because tomorrow I start a new part-time job, which I am actually fairly excited about, and Wednesday I have an interview for another part-time job, which I am more excited about, and my chance of obtaining is pretty high (I`d say 80%). I don`t want to go into the details of the latter position just yet because I don`t want to jinx it more than I already have (by hoping for it, and, well, applying), and I don`t want to talk about the first one yet either because, honestly, you will probably all think "that doesn`t sound like anything to get excited about," and I secretly want you all to think I am living the most awesome life imaginable over here.

I think it`ll all work out nicely, if only because it`s all stuff that randomly falls into my lap, as opposed to things I go out of my way to try for. Effort never got me anywhere, and I think I just said that in my last post as well, so I`ll expound a bit by saying that
things have usually worked out better for me when I`ve sort of gone with the flow as opposed to carefully trying to orchestrate my own fate ... meaning, even though I did try for them, I`m glad I didn`t get those other jobs I`ve been applying for over the past few months because it felt unnatural, forced, as opposed to this, the current result, which feels .. right.

Why am I nervous, then? Unrelated to matters of employment, trivial things involving my current apartment which I`m about to abandon this evening even though I`m supposed to be here for another month and was therefore supposed to pay rent last Friday ... hahahaha. Let`s just say I`m trying not to leave anything here that I ever expect to see again.

Sometimes I wonder what it`d be like to live a legitimate, prudent, safer lifestyle ... then again I also wonder what it`d be like to fall off a building or get shot.

4 件のコメント:

Doomface さんのコメント...

From what I hear, none of those three things are very pleasant, though I can not speak from experience on any of them, having chosen a job that apparently requires me to fly at the ground at high speeds, never being shot with REAL bullets and never fallen off of anything high, aside from a plane, and the top step of a step ladder (you know, the one that says "not a step")
On a side note, who will I be seeing this generic non-religion affiliated Late first fiscal quarter gift-giving work break? I hope it's everybody...

Unknown さんのコメント...

How does that job falling into lap thing work now? It would be most convenient around now.

I just got into an apartment in Manhattan, and I recall a time, rather recently, when the rent that we pay on one months rent would have gotten me half a year in Dover.

I also often wonder about being shot. It is one of those life goals, though I prefer a flesh wound, probably something in the arm. Another life goal though is to die of hypothermia by sitting down in a stream in winter when I am old and/or decrepid. The falling off a building doensn't appeal to me due to the fear of heights.

To Doomy et al. I hope to see people this youse people this celebration of the approximation of the winter solstice. Unless I get one of these jobs I'm applying for that may rob me of my right to celebrate the birth of some guy approximately 2000 years ago.

bastardface さんのコメント...

Even though you would probably naturally live longer than me, Frank, how about if when you`re old and/or decrepit, we go up to, I don`t know, Northern Canada in the dead of winter, I shoot you in the arm so you fall into a stream (you may have to jump a little), which numbs your wound, gives you hypothermnia and kills you, and then I go "what have I dooooone" and jump off a building? Or out of a really tall tree?

As for the job-into-lap thing, the trick is to go without employment till the very last minute, then wait another couple months or so. Eventually out of pity or disgust people will start just giving you jobs, hoping it`ll help you to stop crashing on their floor every night.

Mike Henninger さんのコメント...

McFace, where will you be this coming plastic-junk-that-make-annoying-noises-will -soon-be-taking-over-my-house day? We'll be someone where around here.

Grimy, huzzah on the apartment. I thought you'd fail in your task of find a place for you two to live, and end up living in a closet sized hostel sharing bathroom facilities college students and druggies. You the man!