2007年7月22日日曜日

Life is .. something

You know how you can tell when a joke has gone too far? 1) When people start dying as a direct result, like in Foucault`s Pendulum, or 2) When you find yourself in some f$%&ing nowhere town on the northern coast of Honshu with nothing but a bicycle and a pack of (not nearly enough) supplies, riding from town to town flying a Japanese-style banner that says "Niigata Earthquake Victim RELIEF MISSION." It could be just that: a joke gone too far -- we`re sitting around in Osaka (where I have come to buy books and pursue women) last Tuesday morning, and I`m complaining about this e-mail my mother had sent, yelling at me to "pay attention to what`s going on around me" and "do something to help out." So everyone starts getting on me about how I have all this spare time, I should get off my ass and do something worthwhile, they`d all do it themselves but they have "jobs," blah blah .. thing is, before long it started to make sense to 2 of us, me being one of them (if they`d known me better, known how seriously I`d take any accusation of time-wasting, they wouldn`t have said a thing), and by that evening I had a bicycle, a destination, a vague plan, and no details whatsoever .. actually, 5 days into the trip, I`m still kind of blurry on the details -- I`m just kind of riding northeast, from town to town, with this big yellow banner, asking anyone stupid enough to come near me for a contribution (fyi - so far people either give me a thousand yen, or run away). When I get to Niigata, which should be in another week or so, I will do three things: 1) Give all collected money to the appropriate venue, once I figure out what that is, 2) Probably throw in a large handful of my own cash, since I`m really not good at the whole soliciting thing and would feel embarrassed showing up with like $100, and 3) Auction off the bicycle (which is very nice), give whatever I get for it to the aforementioned appropriate venue, and catch a bus back down to Osaka, where I don`t even live, but hey, there are girls waiting for me there. And my other friends too, of course.

So is it a joke turned against me? A cry for attention? An attempt to do something worthwhile, like the way my older sister is sponsoring a little girl in South America, only less tangibly effective? A vision quest?? My latest effort to become more like Kintaro Oe? Doesn`t matter what it is -- it`s poorly/barely planned, kind of ridiculous, maybe pointless, and exactly what I`m doing ... wish me not-death.

3 件のコメント:

Mike Henninger さんのコメント...

I can only hope you end up challenging a woman on a motorcycle to a race. "Studdyyyy..."

Also, wow. Maybe I'm in a different place, and I'm married and have a kid but I don't think I'd ever do that. Okay, you could probably talk me into ridding a bike around Japan but not for charity. Hmm, that makes me sound like an ass. Yeah!

Jim さんのコメント...

Why is the bike trip necessary? Is it to add to your personal sacrifice or something? Why not just peddle (pun!) around for some cash in the current vicinity, sell the bike, take a bus to where the quake'd folks reside and dispense funds, then hop back on the bus?

bastardface さんのコメント...

People are more likely to give you money when you pedal into their town sunburnt and scraped up, saying "I rode here from Osaka .. I got another 300km to go" than if you were to, say, just hang out around Tokyo or Osaka saying "give me the cash .." but yeah, that point was considered, and if nothing else this can be looked at as my "summer vacation" ..